How to create a subdomains in cPanel?
Did you know you can create subdomains in cPanel?
What are subdomains?
Subdomains are URLs for different sections of your website. They use your main domain name as a prefix, and function differently from your main domain. For example, if your website offers only information, and you wish to have an online store attached to it, you could create a subdomain, namely shop.yourdomain.com for your online store.
Advantages of using subdomains:
- They are free! If you own a domain, you can create many subdomains as you wish at zero cost (if your hosting plan allows)
- Keywords – you can assign the right keywords to your subdomains for SEO and promotional purposes
- SEO advantage – a subdomain is viewed as a different website
- Subdomains can be used to highlight an important topic, apart from what your main website is all about
- Subdomains are really easy to create! (refer below)
Subdomains are used by many forums, blogs, e-stores, etc. In fact, if you own a domain, you can easily create your subdomains by following the simple steps below:
Log into cPanel
Click on the Subdomains icon at the Domains tab.
Type in the name of the subdomain and select the domain to create under (if you own more than one domain under one hosting plan).
Click the ‘Create’ button. You will then see a message stating “You have successfully created “shop.yourdomain.com”. A folder will be automatically created for the subdomain in your public_html folder.
It’s simple and straight-forward. Create one today!